Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Angels in April



Sunday was the annual Angels in April picnic at Spalding Regional Hospital. This event is a picnic that the hospital puts together every year as a reunion for babies that spent extra time in the nursery and to remember those who did not make it. This year was our 5Th year attending and it is always so much fun to go every year and see the nurses and staff who took care of Hunter after he was born. There is always something new every year. This year they had two clowns who painted the children's faces and even some adult faces as well. There are games, popcorn, inflatable slide and good food.

I really enjoy going back every year to see the angels as they continue to grow knowing the difficult challenges each and every one of them had to overcome at birth. At the end of the picnic they share a DVD of the angels and everyone leaves with a copy. I thought that every year would get easier and I would not cry as much as the year before, but the memories are always there and I cry more and more. Hunter is 4 years old now and I still find myself crying when I share the story of his birth with anyone. It is amazing that I was able to conceive, much less everything that that little innocent baby went through when he was born. He will always be my miracle baby (in more ways than one) and I love to share the story of his birth as long as you do not mind the tears.



I am so thankful for all of the caretakers in the nursery and post partum floor who were so kind and gentle with our family. Everyday they would love my baby and help me with the heart wrenching emotions that I would experience because I could not hold my baby like every mother wishes for. Then when it came time to leave the hospital after my stay...without my baby, holding my pillow, as they wheeled me out to the car in place of my sweet angel... they
encouraged me to call or come by at anytime. Stephen had to go back to work and thank God I had my sister in law Ash to carry me to the hospital and take me shopping after three weeks of bed rest. The staff at the hospital were absolutely amazing and it is because of them and my childbirth experience that I'm in school now working on my R.N. Thank you Spalding Regional and thank you Hunter for being everything I have ever dreamed of and wanted, I love you more than words will ever be able to speak!



No comments: