Sunday, April 19, 2009

Never to old for love

Yesterday my neighbor Michelle and I went to a couple of yard sales and must I mention...we got some really good deals. Well, we hit the jackpot at a scrapbook yard sale. The ad made it sound like this yard sale was going to be really good and have a lot of stuff. Michelle and I arrived at the store at 9:00a.m. and they were closed and not expected to open until 10:00. We were not happy campers so we decided to wasted some time that we would go grab some breakfast at McDonald's. I need to mention that Michelle has been on a strict diet for 2 weeks and has lost 8 pounds (YEAH Michelle!) One day a week she is allowed to eat what ever she wants so Saturday was her cheat day. After enjoying our breakfast and chatting for a few minutes we were ready for some bargains. As we left there was a couple maybe in their 70's sitting by the door at McDonald's eating their breakfast, smiling, and sitting on the same side of the table. Michelle told them how cute they were sitting on the same side of the table and I could not help to think to myself after all of these years they are still in love. How wonderful is it to see older adults still in love as they are? They are truly a perfect example to they younger generation that you are never to old to love each other. I would love to have sat down with them to get their story.

All of my grandparents are deceased except for my Daddy's Mother, we call her Grandma Guild. She is a woman of God and a beautiful lady I must add, at the age of 92. She still lives in the same house that she shared with my Grandfather until he passed in the early 90's and they were married for over 50 years. She lives in New York and I do not get to see her as often as I would like to, and I miss her dearly. As a matter of fact I miss all of my grandparents and would love to see them. If you are lucky enough to have your grandparents around still, call them often, maybe daily and tell them how much they are loved. You never know what you have until they are gone.

I did want to tell you about the awesome deals that we received when we went back to the scrapbook store though. We really hit the jackpot. When we first arrived we chuckled at the prices being so expensive and there was not a lot to choose from. As we were getting ready to leave this lady starts bringing in boxes and boxes full of items and the shopping began. She had Stampin Up stamp sets as low as $2. Pretty soon Michelle and I walked out of there singing victory, if we were not in public I'm sure we would have been doing our victory dance.
I'm sure that Michelle feels the same as I do about our experience. We might have gotten some really good deals on scrapbook items, we learned a really good lesson with the older adults at McDonald's. That alone beats any materialistic deal that we could have ever received. Love your spouse every day with all of your heart because you never know who is learning from watching you!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this post, Heather, and I love you :) That couple was adorable and I can only hope that Andrew and I look at eachother that way in 50 years. It warmed my heart to see them. As for the scrapbooking deals, you didn't see my victory dance? I must have done it while you were on the other side of the car :)(Thanks for the diet shout out!)

Diane said...

Heather...
I just wish I could have been with you guys! What a great day!
I love the old people story. It IS great to see old people in love. Sometimes Kelly and I feel like that's not too far away for us!