Saturday, July 18, 2009

A tale to tell...



Hunter has always loved going to my parents house to play in the yard and to play with their two dogs which are boxer/lab mix. The dogs have always loved on Hunter and played with him every time that he has gone over there. This weekend my parents were on vacation so Hunter and I were taking care of the animals for them. Yesterday, Hunter was playing with the dogs in the house while I went into the garage to feed them. I heard a loud scream, hurt cry and I knew something was wrong. So, I ran in the house and Hunter meets me with blood all over his face. I freaked out!
I knew that when I saw his eye we were going to the emergency room because the gash was to big to heal without stitches. I was holding Hunter with a cold rag on his eye and mouth while I was trying to lock up the house. Things were a little crazy by this point. As I drove like a mad demon to the hospital with my baby in the back seat hysterically crying I was trying everything that I could to calm him down. I asked him what did he do and he told me that he was playing with the dog "and I bend his tail and him bit me". He was traumatized! Stephen was at work so I called Aunt Ash and Uncle Lyde and asked them to meet me at the hospital. Hunter wanted his Uncle Lyde to hold him once they got there (they have a really special bond). Ashley and Lyde stayed with us until Stephen was able to get there. Thank you guys!

Hunter did really well while he was being treated. The doctors and the nurses were really impressed with him. I am going to school to become an R.N. and I should be able to handle this type of trauma, and I could not. I told Stephen that he was going to have to stay at Hunter's head while they stitched him. Why would I ask my husband (who has a very weak stomach) to do something like this? When I saw Stephen start sweating I knew that we needed to trade places quickly. Hunter has two places at his eye where the dog bit him, but only had to have one of the places stitched up and they were able to use dermabond on the smaller cut.

This kid is amazing how well he acts when he goes to the doctor or hospital. He cooperates so well with the medical staff. I think that God is truly testing me this week with both of the traumas that I have been experienced. Yes...I still want to be a nurse, but I hope that I do not have to work on any of my family members and I will be okay. So after we left the hospital Hunter said to me "Mama go over there and beat that mean dogs butt". I used this as a lesson for him to learn not to mess with a dog's tail or his ear's. I think that he completely understood the lesson very well.

No comments: