Thursday, May 28, 2009

Our quick getaway


On May 14Th Brittaney turned 15 and we were able to spend the whole day with her, plus a few extra days. Stephen was able to take his only daughter to pass her learner's exam. About 3 p.m. we were talking about taking a day trip and going to Savannah to the beach. Then we started talking about going a little bit further and just going to Hilton Head, SC. By the time that we checked into the cost of rooms it was cheaper for us to spend three days in Panama City, FL than anywhere. So we quickly made reservations, packed every one's clothes, ran by Britt's Grannies so that they could quickly give her some birthday love (Thank you April), and we were on our way about 8 p.m.

We arrived at our destination around 1 a.m. We got a little bit of sleep and were ready to start the day. The weather was beautiful and the water was even more beautiful. I think this was God's way of saying you deserve this, or at least that makes me feel better considering we spent my student loan money. It was worth every penny! Brittaney had never been to Panama City and we really needed some time together as a family, we missed Austin not being able to share it with us though.

Friday Britt, Hunter, and I stayed out at the beach practically all day (and we were feeling it come Friday night) playing in the water. I'm terrified to swim in anything that I can not see my feet, but the water was gorgeous. I could see my feet even in chest deep water, I was loving it. Hunter had so much fun hanging on to me and sissy while we jumped the waves. Brian and Stephen decided to join us after they relaxed for a couple of hours. Friday evening we ventured out to Stephen's favorite restaurant Angelo's, known for their open pit steaks. Brittaney had never ate there and she was amazed at how delicious the steaks were. After dinner we went to the go cart track next door to Angelo's for a little fun. We drag raced each other, the boys went first and then the girls. I'm still the drag racing champion. Last year I raced Lyde and I was so concerned about winning that I forgot to hit the brake and hit the wall, it was hilarious. Stephen, Brian, and Britt rode the fast go carts while I drove Hunter on the slower track, we had a blast. We went by the boat dock to check out the ships afterwards and took some pictures at sunset, then it was time to head back to the hotel for some rest.

Saturday we were at the beach again. Britt and Brian were able to ride the jet ski's and of course they loved it. Stephen, Hunter, Britt, and I were swimming later in the afternoon and a quarter size jellyfish stung Britt on her wrist, so she was finished. The boys and I continued splashing in the waves when Stephen noticed a school of sting rays swimming in front of us. That was it! I grabbed Hunter and Stephen was right behind us. We were quickly trying to get out of the water. Stephen said that I was saying bad words that I do not even remember saying (imagine that). My focus was getting the three of us out of the water before we were bait. You can only imagine how hard it was for this fat girl to carry Hunter, fight the water, and worry if Stephen was coming. It was chaotic, but we made it. We finished the afternoon with shopping at a couple of the local shops. There was this one store called The Monkey Shack, and they had a live monkey. I'm not sure what kind of monkey, but it was the smaller one with a white face. She was 12 weeks old and was so cute, Hunter was fascinated with her. I thought that I wanted one of these monkey's when my children are grown and out of the house until I told the lady that I wanted this monkey and she told me for $12,000 I could have her. I quickly changed my mind once I knew how much they cost and besides the fact they can be so nasty. Saturday evening Britt wanted to go cruise the strip ( I felt so young again) so we set out for our venture. We drove down to Pier Park which is this new shopping complex they have built and it was really neat. We were a little upset that we did not have the money to shop, but it sure was fun checking things out and hanging out with each other. I thought it was so funny when this truck load of younger boys drove by us and said "Hey", I politely waved back. They must have been looking at Britt, or else they did not know how old I was. Thanks Britt for making me feel young. We surprised the boys and took milkshakes back to the hotel, but they were asleep (party poopers!)

Sunday morning we stopped for breakfast before getting on the road. We had to get back home so that I could make dinner for my mother in law. Sunday was her birthday and I wanted to make dinner and have our family over for the celebration. We had a great time and we were all asking "When are we going again?". Those unexpected quick trips are the absolute best!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soo much fun!