Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Two weeks later...

Today makes two weeks since I had my surgery and things have been really rough. I had a c-section with Hunter so I was expecting pain similar to a c-section, but not this bad. I have had good days and bad days, but I feel that I am on the upper end of recovery now.

I am one who is very independent and not use to people waiting on me at all. Surgery has definitely changed that. Everyone has had to wait on me and at first it was pretty nice, now enough is enough and I'm ready to get back to my old self. I have a better appreciation of my job prior to surgery. Stephen has told everyone that he also has a better appreciation of the things that I do because he has had to play Mr. Mom. I'm sure it is like any job if you trade jobs you will have a better appreciation for your own job. He has made up his mind and said he does not want to be a stay at home dad.

My whole family has been great throughout this surgery/recovery process. I could not ask for a better husband. I knew that before surgery, but he is amazing. He has had to put me in check when I think I can do more than I can handle, cook dinner, baths, laundry, dishes, get the boys to games and practices, take care of me, work his full time job, and I could go on and on. Never once has he complained he just keeps on going. When I am down he wipes my tears and reminds me that a month from now I will feel better than I did before. He gives me his sweet smile and I know things will be fine. I love that man more than ever, he truly is the absolute best!

My boys have been great as well. Brian has taken Hunter back and forth to school, made some dinners, cleaned up the house, and taken care of me. When he is around he tends to baby me by pushing in the recliner for me and asking me constantly "Do you need anything Heather?" He even took care of me the first night in the hospital. Austin has picked up where I have left off as well. When I ask him to do something, he actually does not complain now. He helps Hunter and when I was in the hospital Hunter had a really hard time with me being gone so his Bubbie was there to play with him and keep his mind off of Mommy not being home. Hunter has vacuumed, washed and dried clothes, put the dishes in the dishwasher away, loaded the dishwasher, fed the animals, helped me walk around, and just gave me snuggles and love when I needed them. What 5 year old knows how to do laundry? Mine. Stephen bought me a new washer and dryer (which is really nice) so Hunter has learned how to start both appliances. That kid amazes me with his intelligence!

We had made arrangements prior to surgery that Hunter was going to stay with my Mom and Stephen was going to pick him up from school and they would come to the hospital to see me. Well, things did not go as planned. Hunter had a really hard time with me being gone. The first night Stephen gave him a bath and told Hunter "come on let's hurry Daddy has to get up to the hospital with Momma" and Hunter started crying that he wanted Daddy there. So Stephen could not leave him like this. He was glad that he got to sleep with Daddy every night. Brian stepped in and stayed with me at the hospital reminding me all night long to put my oxygen tube on. He was a really great caregiver. Mom stayed with me the second night. She helped me to the bathroom and would get water for me and took really good care of me. Stephen would come during the day and help me shower and walk, then he would leave to go get Hunter from school and bring him back to the hospital to see me.

I have had some really good dinners made for me by my friends Michelle, Tammy, and Rachel. It is nice having dinner with dessert and knowing that my family is taking care of. So, thanks girls so much! I am very grateful that I have you in my life and I love y'all so much. There have been so many people calling to see if I need anything and that has been so nice. OK, I'm beginning to sound like I have won an award and recognizing all of the people in my life. No award, just some really caring and loving people who need to be recognized. The purpose of my blog is to look back on it 10 years from now and remember these little things.

No comments: