Thursday, October 16, 2008

Is it bribery?

Hunter has never liked vegetables since he has been old enough to eat table food. When he was a baby I was feeding him green beans and he literally spit them in my face. To this day he does not eat any vegetable except corn and it has to be corn on the cob. I have struggled and struggled trying to feed him vegetables, but the child is just as picky as his daddy. I have hid peas behind pork chop (chicken to him because all meat is chicken), told him that broccoli taste just like watermelon (which he LOVES) and that is not good enough...he will not budge. So tonight for dinner I got a little more creative and asked him if he wanted some carrots. He says "what they yook yike?" So I showed him and I just knew what was coming next. Of course it was "NO, that is yucky." He loves butter so I told him that I was going to put butter and sugar on them and he could even help me. Excited? We both were very excited that he could help me cook and I was excited that he was going to get some nutrition. So we sat down at the dinner table and I put some on his plate, he tried the first bite and there was that face. He starts acting like he was going to throw up and being very dramatic. So in my stern voice I told him to stop acting like that. I put some more butter on his carrots that were on his plate and let him see me eating my carrots...that still was not good enough. I decided to approach it in a different aspect and I said "Ooh Mommy is eating her carrots so I can get a cupcake". Those little brown eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. " A cupcake" he exclaims and shaking my head I said " Oh yes a chocolate cupcake". If you know this kid then you know he loves chocolate and can n0t resist it not matter what the circumstance. So I added a spoonful of carrots to the two that were on his plate, cut them in half, and told him to eat three bites. Before I knew it his whole entire plate was clear EVEN the carrots. I made a big deal about it, he started dancing and we both were excited. Now that he has given it a try I think that he likes the carrots. So was it bribery? Well call it what you want, but I got him to eat a vegetable other than corn on the cob and I'm happy.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Nice victory! He can come to my house anytime he wants for some chocolate.

Diane said...

Yes...Michelle always has yummy treats...just laying around. I don't know how she resists, they seem to call my name when I am there. Heather...I LOVE your blog! It is great! I miss my adopted "Georgia Peach" and her little guy, Hunter. (who loves me, by the way) Or maybe he was just hugging me to get to stay and play with Toby more...but I'm gonna believe he loves me.