Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The....FISH!!!





Today Michelle and I got together to make some Christmas presents that we have been wanting to make for some time now. I made some snacks for us to eat and Hunter and Toby had lunch together at their table. As we were getting preparations under way Michelle was feeding Tate and she looked to the living room and saw Toby standing on my couch. She tells Toby no and that he needs to get down. Not thinking anything (because I could not see in the living room) I continued getting out the supplies that we needed. Michelle yells and says "TOBY" and she could not get the word out fast enough...."FISH". Yes you guessed it; my two betta fish which sit on our bar that Toby was so intrigued with went into the floor. Toby is two and he does not have fish at his house therefore he was just curious and wanted to investigate these guys a little closer. I just don't think that he wanted them as close as he got them. The water soaks him down the front of his clothes, soaks my couch, my floor and wall is wet, and poor Fred and Fi-Fi are flopping like "a fish out of water". Can you imagine this? So Michelle ever so kindly puts Tate down then runs over to Toby while I run to rescue the fish. Hunter says "Oh no my poor babies" because they are his fish. While Michelle is getting me some water to put the fish back into I am on the floor trying to gently pick these fish up. I am laughing now as I'm writing this. It was chaotic for a moment, but being the calm and collective mothers that we are...we handled it with a breeze.
Michelle kept apologizing to me. I was worried about Toby because the poor little guy did not mean to do this and he was soaken wet. Toby and I went into Hunter's room to get some dry clothes on while Michelle scoops Tate back up and starts feeding him again like he never missed a beat. I got some cleaner so that I could clean my couch and floor. I gave the fish some time so that the shock could wear off and then I cleaned out their tank and put them on the counter where little hands could not get to them again. I honestly thought that my house was baby proof and there was not anything that Toby could hurt...except the fish. I know now that I just need to put them a little higher when Toby comes over. Poor Fred, Fi-Fi and Toby what an experience for all three of them.
So Michelle and I feel that we are even because Hunter Pee'd on her shower curtain a few weeks ago. My computer crashed and I needed to use Michelle's computer for a moment so Hunter and I quickly ran to Michelle's. As soon as we got there Hunter had to go pee pee. He is a big boy so he went by himself. Well, he forgot to wash his hands so He and I headed back to the bathroom. I discovered that he pee'd all over the toilet (because he is a boy) and all over her shower curtain. I felt terrible! She was preparing for company to come in and now here is one more thing that she has to clean. So, like Michelle was with the fish incident... I was very apologetic. Of course Michelle being as sweet as she is tells me " Oh Heather don't worry about it".
We love our neighbors so much and are very fortunate that we have them. Every day is a learning experience and when you have children they always teach you something new. Our fish are still alive, Toby is still our best friend, and now we have a memory to look back on and laugh at. What a fish story. Thanks Toby we love you little guy!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!! I need to stick this on MY blog. Can I say "sorry" yet again? :)

Diane said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this entry! It felt like I was there. This is great, Heather. I love the picture of Toby looking at the couch. And...he looks super in Hunter's clothes.
I miss you all.
Momma Heb